Earlier this week we talked about some ways to stretch our food dollar with vegetables. I stopped by a vegetable stand here in Carroll County, Maryland near Westminster
Here are some of my bargains:
3 large beautiful ripe red tomatoes (almost 2 pounds) -$1.00
3 large orange tomatoes $1.00
3 pounds cherry tomatoes $3.00
3 large cucumbers (but not overly large) $1.00
2 eggplants about one pound each $1.00
8 medium zucchini 25cents each- $2.00
10 pounds small new potatoes $4.00
2 small cantaloupes 1.25 pounds each- 50 cents each - $1.00
All vegetables were grown on that farm. All except potatoes were picked this morning.
We will eat healthy dishes all week (and then some) from this bag of beautiful fresh vegetables.
I did not buy fruit as our blackberry bushes are still producing and the pears trees will soon be challenging me for ideas to properly utilize the bounty.
Any of you out there that have excess fruit and vegetable from your gardens and do not want it to be wasted- call your local shelters, missions, food banks or meals-on wheels programs and ask if you can drop it off. Fresh foods are often in short supply at these organizations- all contributions are appreciated!
Think I’ll make eggplant sandwiches this week!
2 One pound eggplants
2 cups seasoned commercial bread crumbs (or make your own)
¾ cup good quality grated Parmesan cheese
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons water
Olive oil greasing pan (may use olive oil flavored cooking spray such as Pam)
4 large crusty rolls – split
1 16 ounce jar spaghetti sauce – any red one will do – Pizza sauce also works if that’s what you have on hand
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
· Cut eggplant in slices – about ¼ inch thick (if your rolls are oblong slice the long way- if your rolls are round- slice in rounds)
· Whisk eggs in bowl with water
· Mix Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
· Dip eggplant into egg mixture then into bread crumb mixture.
· Put eggplant on greased (sprayed) baking sheet and broil about 12 inches from heat- about 5 minutes on each side. ( OR- sauté in olive oil on grill pan or frying pan until slightly crisp. But since you need to heat the oven to melt the cheese why dirty another pan)
· Top rolls with eggplant then spaghetti sauce then mozzarella. Broil additional 3-5 min until sauce is hot and cheese melts and bubbles.