Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Kumama's Super Coconut Cake

Today has been a lazy day for me- even more than usual. Much of the day was spent talking with beloved friends and family and obsessing on sweets. Coconut, coconut, coconut!! I have been searching my files for a recipe for a very simple coconut cake I made years ago. It is very sweet with lots of coconut. It is special as it can be made in advance, and travels well. Disappears rapidly! Fortunately I found the recipe!
I can only make this when I am taking it to a party or if guests are coming- as a diabetic and coconut lover supremo – I cannot be left alone with this cake. Enjoy!!

Kumama’s Super Coconut Cake

1 box yellow cake mix or white cake mix and the
ingredients to make cake, as listed on cake mix box
1 8 ounce can Cream of coconut- divided
1 large tub of Cool Whip (generic may be used)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 cup Pecans, chopped (walnuts are also good)
1 cup shredded coconut

Prepare a 9x13 inch pan –grease and flour. Mix and bake cake according to package directions.
When cake tests done and while still hot, poke holes in it with a fork.
Mix together sweetened condensed milk and 4 ounces cream of coconut and slowly pour over cake, filling holes. Let cake cool slightly.
Blend the cool whip and remaining cream of coconut and spread over the cake. Top with pecans and coconut. Cover and refrigerate.

No comments: