Monday, April 28, 2008

WELCOME TO KUMAMA'S KITCHEN

Welcome to Kumama's Kitchen!!

My name Kumama was given to me by my grandson Sam. He is 5 years old- very bright. I am the only one in the family that he has given an original name and I just love it!!!

Cooking has been a joy for me most of my life. I still remember my first attempt at baking a cake. There was a recipe for making an orange chiffon cake in some magazine given out at school. I was about 8 years old. My elderly Aunt Eva was staying with me after school while my mother and older sister were shopping. The recipe called for shortening- I did not know what that was- Aunt Eva said" that's the grease Babe" and I set about making a cake with bacon grease. that was the day I learned that no matter how much sugar you put in a cake that has bacon grease, it will not help. This was many decades ago and now hundreds of cakes later ,I now know what shortening is (and is not). Still finding cake recipes in magazines !!!

1 comment:

living history widow said...

Kumama, Enjoyed hearing about your first cake as it triggered a fond memory of my own. I attempted a lemon meringue pie. I rolled out the perfect crust; made pudding from scratch; and poured frothy egg whites on top thinking that they would rise in the oven. The pie browned beautifully, but the top was perfectly flat. I think I was about ten.